Tuesday 4 October 2011

ART CRUSH: ELIZABETH GRAEBER


Elizabeth Graeber is an illustrator from Washington making nice rough around the edges work. Scratchy lines, watercolours, cool bikes, and great faces. I'd been checking out her shop, admiring her wide selection of goods, when I impulse bought An Illustrated Guide To Cocktails. My friend Tim's been drinking whiskey a lot more often these days, and I'm taste testing here and there in an attempt to develop an appreciation. Expand the horizons beyond lazily uncapping a beer, ya know? Though I certainly plan to continue doing that too... An Illustrated Guide To Cocktails (writing by Orr Shtuhl and drawing by Graeber) "tells the tales of the heyday of cocktails, from the origin of the margarita to the grandeur of the first celebrity bartender with some modern twists. Along the way, this fun, handheld guide is dabbled with beautiful illustrations and, of course, recipes." A little history, some excellent visuals, and delicious instructions? Yes please.

A few more recent crushes can be found in this Etsy treasury: Bad Ritual.

And why does Blogger keep denying me my text and font colour choices? This is not Arial. Those black links are not all peachy. This is not my beautiful house.

7 comments:

Danielle said...

Soooo- cocktail party at your house?? ;)

DEADWEIGHT said...

Danielle: Obviously!

Anonymous said...

While beer will always have a very special place in my heart, my recent fascination with whiskey has certainly expanded my drinking horizons!

Next time you're over you need to try some of the Woodford Maplewood. SO GOOD.

This guide looks amazing. I like that it mixes (ha) some history in there with the awesome drawings.

-t.

DEADWEIGHT said...

Tim: I definitely need to try some of that fancy sister whiskey.

Kitiya Palaskas said...

Oh wow how amazing! I love this because I've recently become allergic to wheat/beer so I'm looking for good cocktail recipes to get me by. Awesome!

Amanda said...

that is one fancy fox!

shayna said...

Blitzed. HAHA!